Outdated TYPO3 Version
This documentation refers to an outdated TYPO3 version - either select a supported version or make sure to use a TYPO3 Extended Long Term Support (ELTS) version to continue getting security updates.
The Example Extension¶
Our first Extension will show an inventory list of products, which we created before in a backend list-module. Each product is marked by a title, a short description and a quantity as the number of pieces in stock. The following steps are necessary for implementation:
- Create directory tree and the minimal configuration files
- Translate the problem domain in an abstract domain model
- Configuration of persistence layer
- Definition of database tables
- Configure the display of backend forms
- Create repositories for product objects
- Define the application flow inside the extension (create controller and action methods)
- Realize design with HTML-templates
- Configure the plugin for list display
- Install and test the extension
We choose the step order inside the example extension, so the connection will stay visible and a »natural« growth of extension and knowledge is given. After gathering the first experience in programming with Extbase, you probably will work in another and quicker order. Furthermore, in the future you will have the Extension Builder, a convenient tool to create the base of an extension which is outlined in chapter 10.