What does it do?¶
rte_ckeditor provides a rich text editor (RTE) by integrating
CKEditor 4 into TYPO3.
This makes it possible to use the features of CKEditor when editing rich text fields in the TYPO3 backend or frontend (if frontend editing is used). Rich text fields are fields which may contain text with markup, for example for adding a style such as bold, using lists or enumerations, headlines or adding links.
CKEditor was officially integrated as the default rich text editor in TYPO3 v8 LTS,
within an extension called
Before TYPO3 v8, a custom fork of “HtmlArea”, another open-source WYSIWYG editor
was shipped with TYPO3 Core in a separate extension
isn’t supported anymore since TYPO3 v9 LTS. You have to migrate to
when upgrading from previous TYPO3 versions (=< v8).
It’s highly recommended to use CKEditor as the editor in TYPO3 v8 LTS instances.
rte_ckeditor incorporates the features of CKEditor and adds
additional functionality, configuration presets and plugins.
There are numerous plugins
available for CKeditor. Some plugins have already been
rte_ckeditor and new plugins have been written for TYPO3.
Some examples of features:
- Configurable via YAML files
- Configuration presets (minimal, default, full) for TYPO3
- Toolbar customization
- Link functionality: integration with TYPO3 link wizard
- Softhypen: plugin for adding ctrl + - support to insert a conditional word break
- Wordcount: plugin that counts and shows the chars/words/paragraphs in the footer of the editor. It also supports limiting the max. amount of chars/words.