Installing the extension¶
Import and install the extension using the Extension Manager.
You may be required to install extension Address list (tt_address) which is a prerequisite of extension Direct Mail.
Some updates to the database structure may be needed. Press the “Make updates” button to make these updates.
When the extension is installed, a “Direct Mail” Section and five new modules will appear above the Help section of the backend menu, provided that the user is granted access using the User Admin tool.
The Extension Manager installation dialog allows to set the following extension configuration variables:
- Number of messages per cycle: number of messages sent per cycle of the mailing engine cron task; default value is 50;
- Language of the cron task: the TYPO3 language code of the language to be used by the mailing engine cron task when progress messages are sent to the administrator; default value is “en”;
- Additional DB fields of the recipient: additional fields that may be substituted in the direct mail messages;
- Administrator Email: Email will be sent to this address, if there is an error in the cron task. Especially to notify administrator of the site if the table can’t be written (Direct Mail creates a lot of log records while sending the email).
- Interval of the cronjob: Time interval of the cron task you set in minute. This is used to control if the cron task is still running or if there is an error while sending the email.
- Enable notification email: Allow Direct Mail to send notification emails about start and end of mailing job.
- Use HTTP to fetch: always use http to fetch the newsletter regardless https in BE
- Use implicit port to fetch: Use implicit port in URL for fetching Newsletter-Content: Even if your TYPO3 Backend is on a non-standard-port, the URL for fetching the newsletter contents from one of your Frontend-Domains will not use the PORT you are using to access your TYPO3 Backend, but use implicit port instead (e.g. no explicit port in URL)
If you are upgrading to version 2.0+ from an earlier version, an additional entry may be presented in the function drop-down menu of the extension manager: UPDATE! This option provides a function to convert some tables of your database. You should read the section below about upgrading to version 2.0+.