Following are some good practices for creating custom content element types and plugins and for customizing content elements for usage in the backend.
Coding / structure¶
- Use a sitepackage extension to maintain your site customization (such as backend layouts, custom content elements etc.)
- How you structure your extensions depends a little on the use case and if they will be reused in several projects and / or made public. If you create one extension for every custom content element, you may want to think about whether they might be merged into one extension.
- Do not use deprecated functionality. Read the Core Changelog to check for deprecations and breaking changes between TYPO3 versions.
- Some naming conventions are described in the chapter Naming conventions.
- Read (or skim) the Coding Guidelines.